Skip to main content

Managing your money and budgeting

The type of financial help you receive from Achieving for Children will depend on whether you are an eligible, relevant, former relevant, or qualifying young person.


Your social worker or personal advisor can help you to complete a financial assessment as part of your pathway plan. The financial assessment looks at your income and spending, and forms the basis of your budget plan, which they can also help you with. Sometimes, it may be your foster carer, key worker, or someone else who does this with you. It’s very important that you learn to budget as this will help you when you are living independently. 

If you end up in debt, it’s important that you let your social worker or personal advisor know as soon as possible. We can help you by referring you to debt support services and developing a payment plan to get you back on track.

There are a number of grants available to care leavers, for example, the Capstone Care Leavers Trust; the Care Leavers Foundation; or The Rees Foundation. Ask your social worker or personal advisor for more information about this.