Skip to main content

Mental Health

If you need urgent mental health help now


The Samaritans helpline is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, for people who want to talk in confidence. Call 116 123 (free). They offer confidential, listening service providing emotional support to anyone in crisis. Calls to their crisis line do not appear on phone bills. The Samaritans is for adults only. Young people up to age 18 years should call Childline on 0800 1111 (free helpline).


Young people up to age 18 years should call Childline on 0800 1111 (free helpline).

Children can also book a free session with a counsellor.  You can also send them an email if you register online.


Young people experiencing a mental health crisis should text SHOUT to 85258 24/7 to the Shout team. All texts are answered with a call back from a trained volunteer, with support from experienced clinical supervisors. It is free to text from all major mobile networks in the UK. Their response should be within about 5 minutes.


HOPELineUK is a national confidential support service for any young people (under 35) at risk of suicide, or anyone worried about a young person at risk of suicide. The helpline is open 24 hours every day of the year. You can phone on: 0800 068 4141, send a text on 07786 209697 or email: [email protected]


If you are struggling with thoughts about ending your life or harming yourself, and are finding it hard to keep yourself safe, then go to your nearest A&E in a hospital.  A doctor will assess you and make a plan to keep you safe. Do tell someone you trust, like a friend, your carer, social worker or GP, about how you are feeling, and if you can, get someone to come with you to hospital. Anyone who has taken an overdose of any kind of medication or drug should go immediately to A&E, even if they are feeling fine.

The Emotional Health Service (part of Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service - CAMHS) 

The Emotional Health Service is part of the network of mental health services for children and young people up to the age of 19 years. For children and young people in care, including those within the Leaving Care and Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children's services, there are specialist mental health clinicians who support the social work teams through consultation where social workers, personal advisors, foster carers and children and young people up to the age of 25 can get quick access to specialist mental health advice and assessment. These clinicians are part of the Emotional Health Service. There is a small capacity for direct work with children and young people. For young people over the age of 17 and a half, it may be more suitable to get help through adult mental health services. If you are worried about yourself and how you are feeling or would like help with depression, then tell your social worker who can arrange a consultation with the Emotional Health Service for Permanency team. 

Find out more about the Emotional Health Service and ways that you can help your own mental health.

If your depression or anxiety has been going on for a while 

See your GP if you’ve been feeling depressed for more than a few weeks and/or your anxiety is affecting your daily life. If you want to talk to someone right away, the mental health helpline page has a list of organisations you can call for immediate help.

Whatever you need to know about coping with stress, anxiety or depression, or just the normal emotional ups and downs of life, the NHS Choices Moodzone is a website which may help.

It offers practical advice, interactive tools, videos and audio guides to help you feel mentally and emotionally better.