National insurance number, passport, driving licence

Your social worker will help you to apply for your National Insurance number as soon as you are old enough. You should have this before your 16th birthday. Achieving for Children will help you to ensure you have photographic identification, which you will need to access services. We will support you with either your passport or provisional driving license. If you are an unaccompanied minor and no decision from home office regarding your asylum has been made yet, you cannot apply for a National Insurance Number.

Birth certificate, British citizenship

The Leaving Care Team has facilities to securely store your birth certificate if you’d like us to keep if safe for you. If you don’t have one we can support you to get a birth certificate, if you were born in the U.K.

If you don’t have citizenship in the U.K., you can speak to your social worker or personal advisor about what support you can get to apply for Naturalization. This is a long and complicated process and you will usually need to speak to an immigration solicitor.