This eight week programme is approved by British Canoeing and covers the one star certificate or Paddle Power Passport. It provides structured kayak and canoe courses from novice to advanced level. Costs are £56 per hour per group (multiples of eight).
- skills taught – lifting, carrying, launching, forward paddling, stopping, turning and sweep strokes
- theory – safety brief, environmental issues, awareness of wildlife, other water users, equipment
- skills taught – re-cap on week one, forward paddling, turning, reverse paddling, ruddering
- theory – safety when afloat, hypothermia, first aid
- skills taught – re-cap of skills learned, moving sideways, evidence of trunk rotation, preventing capsize
- theory – general kayaking, one star syllabus information
- skills taught – full session working on students needs in practising the skills needed for the one star test
- skills taught – mock one star assessment, helping students gain confidence in their paddling
- theory – re-cap theory aspects learned. Group question and answer session of theory and skills learned
- One star assessment
- Log book completion
- skills taught – lifting, carrying and launching the kayak, efficient forward paddling, reverse paddling and stopping, moving the kayak sideways
- theory – equipment, safety access issues
- skills taught – Eskimo rescue, deep water rescue, low recovery stroke
- theory – environmental issues, trip planning.