Skip to main content

Preparing for Adulthood

Postgraduate study

Universities across the UK welcome students with disabilities who would like to study at postgraduate level. There are many courses at a variety of universities available. Types of postgraduate degrees include a Master's Degree (such as an MA or MSc); a Doctorate (PhD); a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE); or other postgraduate diplomas. 

  • Disability Rights UK provides a helpful factsheet (opens a new window) about postgraduate study.
  • Government-backed loans (currently up to £10,280) are available to anyone, including students with disabilities, who wish to study for a postgraduate degree. These loans can help you to cover the costs of tuition fees and living expenses. You can find out more details here (opens a new window)
  • Separate government-backed PhD loans will become available for new students starting a Doctorate from the 2018/2019 academic year. These loans will provide up to £25,000 to help students with their tuition fees, living expenses or any other study-related costs. You can find out more details here (opens a new window)
  • All postgraduate students with disabilities are eligible for Disabled Students' Allowance (opens a new window) 
  • A limited number of Research Council grants (opens a new window) are also available.
  • It's a good idea to check with individual universities to see if they offer any scholarships or grants.