Skip to main content

Further and Higher Education Student Support and Advice

  ​There is a lot of useful information and guidance available about applying for, and going to college or university, if you are a young person with a special educational need or a disability.

​Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS)

The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) website has a section for students with disabilities. It has advice, videos and links to information about subjects such as:

  • Talking to course providers about your needs
  • Accessing facilities
  • Accessing your course
  • Choose the right course for you
  • Accessing study materials
  • Assessment arrangements
  • Assistance at university
  • Applying for Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs)
  • What to do if you need to arrange communication support.

Visit the UCAS website (opens a new window)


This organisation produces factsheets about a wide variety of further and higher education topics. They also run a dedicated Disabled Students Helpline.​


Disabled Students Allowance

As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability, including a:
  • long-term health condition.
  • mental health condition.
  • specific learning difficulty, eg dyslexia.

You must meet the definition of disability (opens a new window) under the Equality Act 2010. The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income.

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are paid on top of your other student finance. They help you pay the extra costs you may have because of your disability. They don’t have to be repaid. How much you get depends on your individual needs - not your household income. If you’re a part-time student your ‘course intensity’ can affect how much you get.

If you are applying for Student Finance as well as DSA you should apply for Student Finance first.

Read more about DSA and how to apply on the GOV.UK (opens a new window) website


This organisation provides comprehensive accessibility data for many universities and their individual campuses and buildings.

Find out more on the AccessAble (opens a new window) website.

Student Support service for anyone who is blind or partially sighted, aged 16+ and  who is in or is looking to start college or university.

Thomas Pocklington Student Support (opens a new window)

TSR is an online student community. You can find out information, join forums, chat with other students. The forum covers students studying from GCSE and above and offers advice and support on a range of subjects including:
  • Applying to uni.
  • Real life views of university from other students.
  • Personal statements.
  • Student finance.
  • Relationships and health.
  • Social life.
  • Careers and jobs.
  • News and entertainment.

Visit the TSR website (opens a new window)