The role of the Disabled Children’s Nursing Team (Kingston) is to:
- Provide specialist nursing care, support and advice to families/carers in their own homes or respite centre.
- Provide nursing support and training to staff within Kingston's Special Schools.
- Provide training and support to mainstream schools to integrate disabled children where applicable.
- Ensure that care is safe, effective and evidence based.
- Teach families, children and carers the specific skills they need.
- Provide, maintain and monitor specialist health equipment for the caseload.
- Promote safeguarding in their everyday practice.
- Work closely with other professionals to ensure that the child/young person's holistic needs are met.
- Ensure that the child/young persons voice is heard during assessment, throughout treatments and by working with the Participation Team.
- Work with other professionals to aid in a smooth transition to adult services.
Referral to the team is through the Integrated Service for Children with Disabilities.