Community Paediatric Occupational Therapy at Moor Lane is a non statutory service
The Occupational Therapy Service based at Moor Lane is funded by the NHS. Achieving for Children is commissioned by Kingston Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) to provide Occupational Therapy for children with a disability. The Occupational Therapy Service provides a coordinated community service for children and young people with significant disability and complex health needs aged 0 to 18 years.
The role of the Occupational Therapy team is to:
- Provide an assessment and advice service to children aged 0-18 years who have significant functional difficulties in the areas of self-care skills (cutlery use, dressing, toileting), use of tools and equipment (pencil, scissors) and mobility and posture (navigating around environments and maintaining an upright sitting posture) due to a complex, severe or enduring physical and or developmental condition which significantly affects ability to achieve potential in terms of activities of daily living.
- Offer advice and strategies to support children with OT needs. Where children’s difficulties are primarily with school-related tasks, or where there has been no local intervention to date within a school or setting, we offer a Resource Pack of activities to provide advice and strategies to help support pupils to access the curriculum to the best of their abilities. Children may be referred individually to Occupational Therapy after implementation of the Resource Pack if there is a significant lack of progress or skills deteriorate, given their age and level of functioning.
- Increase awareness of OT and OT strategies to support children and share good practice with the wider children’s workforce.
- Liaise with the multi-disciplinary team, families, carers and other professionals to maintain a holistic view of the child or young person. Where there are other professionals involved the team aim to provide advice and support jointly with those other relevant professionals.
- Encourage functional independence and hand skills through the use of upper limb splints where these are required.
Referrals are made through a single point of access and are discussed at a weekly meeting with the Integrated Team Around the Child (ITAC). All children and young people accepted into the service must have a Kingston Primary Care Trust (PCT) GP.
Team Lead Paediatric Occupational Therapy
Achieving for Children
Phone: 020 8547 5837
The Moor Lane Centre, Moor Lane, Chessington, Surrey, KT9 2AA
Working days: Mon, Tue, Wed & Friday