Skip to main content

Health Services

Emotional Health Service - referral criteria and making a referral

This service works with children and young people up to the age of 19 years old who have a Richmond or Kingston home address. The focus of this service is early intervention and prevention, including consultation, training and short term direct therapeutic interventions. We are very happy to have a discussion with you if you are worried about a child or young person.

Referrals will be accepted into Tier 2 when:

  • The problem is a mental health problem and is having a significant impact on the child’s general functioning and
  • the problem is not resolving despite interventions from universal (Tier 1 for example school based interventions or counselling with school nurse) services located in school or the community and
  • the difficulties are present at home and in addition may be present at school or in the community.

This may include persistent moderate presentations of the following in the child or young person which cause significant distress:

  • Anxiety problems: panic or phobia including not wanting to go out of the home/finding it difficult to go to school, obsessional and compulsive behaviours
  • Low mood
  • Superficial self-injury without suicidal intention or plans
  • Psychosomatic complaints such as stomach aches or headaches where physical medical concerns have been ruled out
  • Eating problems and concerns about weight (that may lead if untreated, to an eating disorder)
  • Difficulties in coping with everyday life after experiencing a trauma or significant life event

Concerns about possible ADHD or ASD will be screened and if necessary stepped up to Tier 3 CAMHS for specialist assessment and diagnosis.

If a child/young person has a diagnosis of ADHD or ASD and there are significant behavioural or emotional well being concerns, despite attendance at a specialist parenting group, Tier 2 will be able to offer specialist intervention.

We do not accept referrals if:
  • The psychiatric concern is an emergency. Tier 2 CAMHS is not an emergency mental health service. If you are worried about a child’s immediate safety due to deterioration in their mental state, we advise you to contact emergency services or visit the local Accident and Emergency Department.
  • The child or young person is in need of immediate protection due to safeguarding concerns i.e. due to emotional, physical or sexual abuse or neglect. In these cases, safeguarding concerns must be reported and addressed to ensure the child is safe, before psychological support is assessed. We are happy to offer consultation around this particular issue to help think about the timeliness and appropriateness of any mental health intervention.
How to refer to Tier 2 CAMHS

All referrals are managed through the Single Point of Access (SPA) Teams. 

Any professional, who has parental consent, can make a referral to CAMHS.  All referrals should have prior consent from the young person and /or the family.  Following acceptance of a referral you and / or the family may be offered a consultation to discuss your concerns in more depth.  Alternatively the family or young person will be invited to opt in to a Choice Assessment appointment.  

Parents/carers can also refer on their children’s behalf.

‚ÄčDownload the SPA Referral Process - information for professionals (pdf)

The location of the new integrated SPA is Guildhall 2, Kingston.  The telephone number is:  020 8547 5008.

Make a referral to Emotional Health Service/CAMHS

Make a referral via Kingston Single Point of Access (opens in new window)
Make a referral via Richmond Single Point of Access (opens in new window)

Note: Currently there are separate forms in Kingston and Richmond but you can use either.  They all go through to the Single Point of Access.


CAMHS in other boroughs

Other boroughs may have a slightly different set-up for CAMHS. To find CAMHS in other boroughs: 

  • Speak to your GP or school who can refer you to your local CAMHS;
  • Search online for ‘Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services’ in your area. Your local NHS Trust website should have the details. It is highly likely that your child will still need to be referred by a professional.