Developing the Health information on the Local Offer
We know that we need to improve this section of the Local Offer. There is a plan in place. You can read more about this on page 29 of the Kingston SEND Local Area Written Statement of Action
Although this applies to Kingston it is expected that any improvements identified will inform equivalent improvements to the Richmond Health Local Offer information.
As this Local Offer website covers two different boroughs, it is important to understand that the health provision in Kingston and Richmond boroughs is delivered differently depending on where you live and which GP you are registered with.
- In Kingston, the Integrated Service for Children with Disabilities (ISCD) includes health service provision as part of the integrated offer to children and families. The health services are commissioned by the Clinical Commissioning Group and delivered directly by AfC staff. The service also commissions an external provider to offer an orthotic service for children. Other services are provided by the ISCD, but commissioned from a different provider. Speech and language therapy is provided by Your Healthcare and community paediatrics by Kingston Hospital. Kingston ISCD health services work as an integral part of the ISCD and are based at the Moor Lane site. This co-location enables communication and liaison and allows for significant joint working practices. Most of the directly employed Achieving for Children health staff are funded through Kingston Clinical Commissioning Group, but therapy services are sometimes funded by the Special Educational Needs Service where therapy intervention and management is concerned with access to educational settings and to the wider curriculum.
- In Richmond, relevant community health services are commissioned by the Richmond Clinical Commissioning Group and are provided by Hounslow and Richmond Community Health Trust. These services include community paediatrics, community children’s nursing, speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy.
Find health services in Richmond on the Hounslow and Richmond Community Health Trust website
Some health services are provided by external providers, for example, wheelchair services and special seating services which are provided by Queen Mary’s at Roehampton through a national NHS England contract. In Richmond, orthotics is also provided by Queen Mary’s.
Other relevant healthcare providers are acute trusts such as Kingston Hospital, St George’s Healthcare, West Middlesex Hospital, Guys and St Thomas’ and Great Ormond Street. South West London and St Georges Mental Health Trust provides support for Kingston and Richmond residents. For example, in the absence of a disability and for children over school age, referrals for autism spectrum diagnosis will be referred to the trust.
How you access health services depends on which GP (doctor) you are registered with and which borough or health authority the GP comes under.
Information on healthcare services on this website includes:
- Health and Clinical Services provided or commisioned by the Achieving for Children Integrated Service for Children with Disabilities
- Health services in the local offer provided only for patients registered with a Kingston GP
- Health services in the local offer provided only for patients registered with a Richmond GP
- General health information that is useful for everyone in Kingston and Richmond. This includes local and national voluntary sector organisations that offer advice and support for specific conditions, equipment suppliers, counselling services and advice services for young people on subjects such as sexual health, mental health and other areas.