Skip to main content

Applying for schools if you are moving into the area

Most children with special needs who move into the area whether from other parts of the country or from overseas would go through the normal admissions process for a place in a maintained mainstream school.  

All maintained mainstream schools receive funding to be able to initially support a child with special educational needs on SEN support.  The school will monitor and review the child's progress over a period of time and will then make a request for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment if it becomes apparent the child needs provision over and above what can be provided at SEN support.  

There are some exceptional cases when a child's needs are so profound that it is clear their needs cannot be met in a mainstream school.  On these occasions we will consider any existing professional advice the family has and may also involve other services such as Portage (Early Years), Educational Psychology, Speech and Language Therapy etc. Based on the information available an assessment placement in a special school may be agreed.  The EHC needs assessment will then be initiated when the child starts at the special school.

Each child is considered on an individual basis but, in the first instance, parents should contact the Schools Admissions Team to enquire which mainstream schools have a vacancy in their child's year group and then arrange to visit these schools in order to make an informed decision as to which school they would like their child to attend.   It is also worth noting that an application for a school cannot be processed until the child is living in the area.


Children who already have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

The procedure for a child who has an EHCP moving into Kingston or Richmond is different and is dealt with by the SEN team.

Parents or the young person must notify their authority (‘old’ authority) of the new address and date of the move as soon as this is known.  The old authority will transfer the EHCP to us (‘new authority) either on the day of the move or within 15 days from when they became aware that the move had taken place.  We become responsible for maintaining the EHCP from the date it is transferred to us.

Where practicable, the child or young person will continue to attend the school or college that is named in their EHCP.   However, when this is not possible, for example, when the distance between the child or young person’s new home and the educational setting is too far, we will find a temporary alternative placement until the EHCP is formally amended.

Within six weeks from the date the EHCP transferred to us we will tell parents or the young person when we propose to carry out a review, which may be brought forward, or if we intend to carry out a new EHC needs assessment.

​Moving if you are going through an assessment

If your child is midway through an assessment when you move, the "old" authority will transfer the paperwork to the "new" authority. The "new" authority will then pick up the assessment.

If you would like further information or wish to discuss this please contact your SEN Team, whose details should be on your home SEND Local Offer website.