All schools are required to publish information about support they offer to children and young people with SEND in their school. This is called the SEND information report, or school SEND local offer, and should be clearly visible or signposted on the school website, or available on request.

All schools help children with SEND and are required to have a named day-to-day co-ordinator (SENCO) who is responsible for coordinating the school’s support programme for SEN and disabilities.  When difficulties are first identified, they put in place extra help, known as "SEN Support".

SEN Support

Schools use criteria about expected progress to decide when the child isn’t making enough progress so they can arrange extra support. The criteria are used to make it fair when schools are deciding which children should have more or less help.

Sometimes children don’t make enough progress or continue to have difficulties managing in school, even with extra support.  In these cases schools will get advice from other professionals.  This might include further more detailed assessment so that good advice can be given to the school and family. You will always be given copies of any reports written about your child and be able to discuss them.

Examples of additional and extra help for pupils with SEND:

  • Individualised targets set for the pupil following discussion between school, pupil, parents and other professionals
  • the SENCO involved in assessing, planning and reviewing progress
  • making a task different so it is manageable, for instance a pupils with literacy difficulties might show learning by making a poster rather than writing an essay
  • regular planned support from the teacher, teaching assistants and the SENCO
  • flexible group work to support individual learning targets
  • individual sessions or  small groups for literacy and numeracy
  • social skills groups
  • changes made to the classroom such as a quiet study area, reducing glare by putting up blinds or putting soft feet on chairs to reduce noise
  • access to ICT solutions and specialist materials and equipment
  • specialist support or advice from other professionals like an educational psychologist or speech and language therapist
  • a programme to improve handwriting or other physical skills

This support is usually provided by the school using its delegated budget. For pupils with greater needs which cannot be met within this budget, schools and parents or young people can request a top up through an EHC plan.

Enhanced SEN Support

Local authorities can provide funding as an alternative to an EHC needs assessment, with parents’ agreement.  This does not affect parents’ statutory right to request an EHC needs assessment.

​If the school or nursery believes that your child’s needs are complex or severe they can suggest requesting an EHC needs assessment.