Skip to main content



Most children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) will have their needs met in mainstream education. Most will need some extra help from their teacher or other school staff, but some will also need help from people working alongside the staff.

All schools are required to have a named Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) who is responsible for coordinating the school’s support programme for SEN and disabilities.  When difficulties are first identified, they put in place extra help, known as SEN Support.

About SEN Support (opens a new window)

Some children or young peoples’ needs may be better met by attending a school or college that specialises in educating children and young people with specific educational needs or disabilities. There are options both in Kingston and Richmond as well as out of the borough if appropriate.

Choosing a school (opens a new window)

Applying for school (opens a new window)

​What are special educational needs?

On average, five children in every class have difficulty learning because they have special educational needs (SEN). Special educational needs that affect a child's ability to learn can include:

  • social emotional and mental health difficulties, or ability to socialise, for example not being able to make friends.
  • reading and writing, for example they have a reading or spelling difficulty.
  • ability to speak or understand language (though children and young people who speak English as an additional language as their only need should not be identified as having SEN).
  • concentration levels, for example they have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
  • physical needs or impairments.

A child or young person has SEN if:

  • they are progressing at a significantly slower rate than the majority of children their age, and
  • they need additional or different help from the services usually provided in the school