In this section you find information about specific support young children with SEND in the Early Years.  Information about childcare, early education funding, children's centres and other *universal family information is available under the Community Information section of the AfCinfo website.

*Universal or "universal services" means the kind of services that are available to everyone like healthcare, childcare, education, children's centres etc. 

If you have concerns about your child's progress

There are many services you can contact to talk about concerns you may have about your child, including GPs, health, visitors, schools, nurses, speech and language therapy and educational psychology.

If your child does not attend a nursery or a school 

If your child is still at home, speak to your health visitor or GP (doctor), or visit your local children's centre for advice.

Find Children's Centres

The following organisation can also can also give you advice:

KIDS Richmond and Kingston SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) 


If you have any concerns about your child’s health or development, your first point of contact should be your GP (doctor) or health visitor.

Health Visitors

Health Visitors mostly work with families with children under the age of five. They assess your child's development and work with a range of professionals to provide support and if necessary, make referrals.

Find out more about what health visitors do and some top tips for parents to help you support your child here.

Institute of Health Visiting website (opens a new web site)

Read more about how children learn and develop during the first five years here:

What to expect, when? A parent’s guide (opens a new web site) 

Foundation Years (opens a new web site)