Skip to main content

Preparing for Adulthood Phase Transfer - Years 11 and 12

In September events were held for young people with an EHCP in Years 11 and 12.

At the events young people were able to:

  • meet their education, health and care plan coordinator and other workers
  • ask questions about their next steps
  • talk about their hopes and plans for the future
  • join fun workshops with other young people.

The following video recordings contain information for parents.

Year 11: Preparing for Adulthood Phase Transfer (23-24)

Year 12 plus: Preparing for Adulthood Phase Transfer (23-24) 

Phase Transfer Q&A 23-24 

How is an Education Other Than At School (EOTAS) package decided upon? 

Achieving for Children believes that children/young people learn best when they attend their local school, are educated by teachers and learn amongst their peers.

In exceptional circumstances only, when all other options have been considered and we agree that it would be inappropriate for all or any education and support to take place in an educational setting, we may agree to Education Otherwise Than At School (EOTAS). 

EOTAS is where a child or young person with an Education Health and Care Plan can receive educational provisions despite not being able to attend an educational setting.

EOTAS will only be agreed upon in the following circumstances:

  • The child/young person has an Education, Health and Care Plan
  • We are satisfied that it would be inappropriate for all or any special educational provision that we've decided is needed for you child/young person to be made in any educational setting 

Therefore, we expect that in almost all cases, children/young people should attend an educational setting, unless it is inappropriate for them to do so. 

EOTAS arrangements are only ever temporary until more suitable long-term arrangements can be made.

If we agree to EOTAS arrangements, they can be made in one of two ways:

  • We may arrange a package of education and support to be delivered in a variety of community settings such as libraries or community centres.
  • You may request a personal budget to take control of arranging your child/young person’s education and support.

Depending on the reasons why your child/young person is unable to attend an education setting, an EOTAS ‘timetable’ is unlikely to be the same as a school timetable and may be less than full-time.

EOTAS arrangements are not the same as Elective Home Education arrangements. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your allocated Education, Health and Care Coordinator in Achieving for Children’s SEND Service.

Is it possible to change exam dates?

Exam dates are set by the exam boards and the local authority is unable to change these. For young people who may not be ready to sit their GCSE’s at the end of Year 11, this will need to be discussed with the educational setting, including the exam officer. 


What happens if a young person doesn't achieve GCSE pass grades? 

In most cases, as an EHCP learner, a young person can retake their GCSE’s in Maths and English alongside their college course. Local colleges also offer retake GCSE programmes. The local authority is not able to override course entry requirements. If the young person is unable to enrol on their chosen course following GCSE, the named provider should liaise with the family on any alternative programmes. The local authority can also support with this. 


Do we have to have more than one choice for college? 

No, however we encourage more than one college choice to be shared to increase the opportunities for the young person. Once choices are made, the young person also needs to apply directly to the college. 


Will there be a problem maintaining the EHCP in Post 16 transition? 

The local authority will only propose to cease an EHCP if the young person enters higher education, work, or indicates they do not want to engage with education moving forward. This will always be discussed with the family, young person and wider network ahead of any actions.