Skip to main content

Moving in or out of borough with an EHCP

 The procedure for a child who has an EHCP moving into or out of Kingston or Richmond is different and is dealt with by the respective SEN teams.

Parents or the young person must notify their authority (‘old’ authority) of the new address and date of the move as soon as this is known.  The old authority will transfer the EHCP to the new authority either on the day of the move or within 15 days from when they became aware that the move had taken place.  The new authority (Achieving for Children if you are moving into Kingston or Richmond) becomes responsible for maintaining the EHCP from the date it is transferred.   Where practicable, the child or young person will continue to attend the school or college that is named in their EHCP.   However, when this is not possible, for example, when the distance between the child or young person’s new home and the educational setting is too far, the "new authority" will find a temporary alternative placement until the EHCP is formally amended.

Within six weeks from the date the EHCP transferred to Achieving for Children we will tell parents or the young person when we propose to carry out a review, which may be brought forward, or if we intend to carry out a new EHC needs assessment.

​Moving if you are going through an assessment

If your child is midway through an assessment when you move, the "old" authority will transfer the paperwork to the "new" authority. The "new" authority will then pick up the assessment.