Update August 2019
The Golden Binder format and contents are currently being reviewed as part of a wider refresh of the Local Offer.Thr ↵AU ↵
The Golden Binder format and contents are currently being reviewed as part of a wider refresh of the Local Offer.Thr ↵AU ↵Update August 2019About The Golden Binder
A resource has been created by the Parent Forum working with Achieving for Children (AfC) and representatives from Health, Social Care, Schools, Early Years and Post 16 to create a complete set of guidance documents relating to “Support for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)”. The resource is nicknamed the “Golden Binder”. Every Early Years setting, school SENCo and special school in Richmond and Kingston should have a copy, as well as all key professionals involved with the EHCP process. The resource can be viewed and downloaded from this page.
The content in the binder is jointly owned by a group of professionals, parents and AfC staff who are jointly responsible for keeping it up to date and ensuring that any changes are made with the knowledge and in consultation with all the other teams and functions that are involved. If you have any comments or feedback on the guidance in these chapters then please use the Local Offer "Contact Us" page to feedback. The comments will be reviewed and changes made twice a year.
The Golden Binder contains all the guidance, forms and templates to be used for:
- Requesting an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment for the first time, and
- the Education, Health and Care Plan templates to be used by SEN, Education, Health and Social Care professionals and to be completed with a family once it has been agreed that a plan is needed.
- Transferring a statement to an Education, Health and Care Plan
- Reviewing Education, Health and Care Plans
We recommend that the accompanying guidance is referred to when completing requests for a EHC Needs Assessment or completing the Education, Health and Care Plan templates. This guidance is contained in the relevant chapters of the Golden Binder.
All the guidance, forms and templates which form the contents of the Golden Binder are listed and available for download on this page. The Golden Binder is regularly reviewed and it is important that current practice is followed and the latest templates and forms are used. For this reason we recommend that the latest templates are downloaded from this site each time they are required. Please continue to scroll down this page to see the latest templates.
Golden Binder - Contents and Pages
- Contents page
- Chapter 1 – Supporting children and young people with SEN
- Chapter 2 – Early Years
- Chapter 3 – SEN Support in School
- Chapter 4 - Education, Health and Care Plans
- Chapter 5 – Detailed guidance on completing the EHCP Form
- Chapter 6 – Transfer from a Statement to an EHCP - no longer required
- Chapter 7 – Annual Review
- Chapter 8 – Further Education
- Chapter 9 – Personal Budgets
- Chapter 10 – Decision Making and what to do if you disagree with a decision
Appendix 1 – SEN Support
- SEN Support Plan - example 1
- SEN Support Plan - example 2
- SEN Support Plan - example 3
- SEN Support Plan - example 4
- SEN Support Plan - example 5
- Guide to Reasonable Adjustments
- SEN Threshold Guidance
Appendix 2 – EHC Needs Assessment Request Forms
- NA1 - Needs assessment request form (school or early years)
- NA2 - Needs assessment request form (Further Education or Training provider)
- NA3 - Needs assessment request form (young person)
- NA4 - Needs assessment request form (parent)
Forms numbered NA1 - 4 above are for requesting an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment for the first time.
The separate Provision Map - Form PM should be used to support a needs assessment request.
How to submit a EHC Needs Assessment Request
You should send requests with attachments to the following address:
Address: SEND Team, c/o Achieving for Children, Guildhall 2, Kingston, KT1 1EU
Phone: 020 8547 5872
Appendix 3 – EHCP Templates - once it has been agreed that a plan is needed
The following Education, Health and Care Plan templates are to be used by SEN, Education, Health and Social Care professionals and to be completed with a family once it has been agreed that a plan is needed.
- EHC A - EHCP Template Section A - version for printing (pdf)
- EHC A - EHCP Template Section A - electronic version (Word)
For inspiration and examples to help families complete Section A visit:
Appendix 4 – Example EHCPs (for reference – not copy)
Examples removed as no longer current.
Appendix 5 – Health
- Health Advice for the EHC Needs Assessment (Health professionals template)
- Therapies – Kingston
- Therapies – Richmond
Appendix 6 – Social Care
Appendix 7 – Annual review and Transfer templates
The following templates and forms are to be used during an annual review.
- AR1 - Education, Health and Care Plan review form
- TR1 - Annual review checklist pre-transfer to Education, Health and Care Plan
- PM - Provision Map - to be used to support needs assessment requests and/or to support the request for additional provisional during an annual review.
Appendix 8 – EHCP Checklist
Appendix 9 – Outcomes and Person Centred Planning
- Developing outcomes for Young People – towards best practice
- How to write an outcome on one page
- Developing Outcomes – 8 Step Process
- Simple Communications
Appendix 10 – Further Education