Skip to main content

About SEN Support in schools and education

What SEN Support your child is entitled to by age


The views of parents with children and young people receiving SEN Support

Achieving for Children would like to hear the views of parents/carers who have a child or young person receiving support from a setting/school/college for a special educational need (SEN Support - this is the level of support for a child or young person who does not have an EHC Plan). This feedback will feed into continued improvements to best support children and young people. Please provide your feedback via this feedback link (opens a new window)

Children under 5

SEN support for children under 5 includes:

Nurseries, playgroups and childminders registered with Ofsted follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) framework. The framework makes sure that there’s support in place for children with SEND.

Find out more about how children are supported in nurseries and childcare settings (opens a new window)

Find more about support and services for children under 5 years (opens a new window)

Talk to a doctor or health adviser if you think your child has SEND but they do not go to a nursery, playgroup or childminder. They’ll tell you what support options are available.

Children over 5 years

Most children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) will have their needs met in mainstream education. Most will need some extra help from their teacher or other school staff, but some will also need help from people working alongside the staff.

All schools are required to have a named Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) who is responsible for coordinating the school’s support programme for SEN and disabilities.  When difficulties are first identified, they put in place extra help, known as SEN Support.

Your child will get SEN Support at their school or college (opens a new window)