Skip to main content

What if SEN support is not enough?

Sometimes a child or young person needs a more intensive level of specialist help that would not be met from the resources available. This is the time to consider an EHC needs assessment. Some children may need an EHCP assessment very early on. The local authority should communicate with the appropriate professionals and start the process without delay. Anyone can contact the SEND Team to ask for advice on the best way to request an EHC needs assessment. This will most often be through a multi-agency meeting with those involved, at the educational setting (e.g. school). Following this meeting, either the educational setting or the parents may submit a request. If the young person is over 16, they can ask for an assessment themselves. An EHCP brings the child or young person’s Education, Health and Social Care needs into a single, legal document. The child or young person must have special educational needs to be eligible for a plan.

How to apply for an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment

The folder called the  "Golden Binder" contains all the guidance, forms and templates to be used for: