Skip to main content

Other financial help with childcare costs

There are various forms of financial help available to help families meet their childcare and other costs. 

The type of help available is varied and dependent on your personal circumstances and age of your child but could include:

  • Childcare Element of Universal Credit for working families.
  • Flexible Support Fund (Universal Credit) This is a discretionary fund through Job Centre Plus to help families attend interviews & bridge childcare costs until they are paid.

  • Tax Credits

  • Tax Free Childcare for eligible working families

  • Salary Sacrifice and Childcare Vouchers

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

  • Direct Payments (Personal Budgets for Social Care)

  • Care To Learn payments for students under 20 at the start of a publicly funded course such as a school or sixth-form

  • Discretionary Learner Support for students aged 19 or over on a further education course
  • Childcare Grant for full-time higher education students

You can find out about all these different schemes and whether you might be eligible on the government's Childcare Choices website