I'm sure you’ve all seen, if not heard about the Lionesses recent success at this year's UEFA women’s Championship. On Tuesday 26th July the England squad swept aside Sweden to reach the Euro 2022 final.
The win comes at a time of increasing interest in the women’s game, with the number of girls playing for football teams rising by more than 40% in the last three years.
Millions tuned in at home: the semi-final saw the highest attendance at a women’s euros: the tournament has already smashed the record for most fans, with the previous landmark of 240,055 being passed in the group stages alone.
The stats alone show how far the game has come in terms of gender inclusion. Ex-players and campaigners have expressed hope that the win could continue a transformation in the game and encourage more young girls to get involved in the sport.
In celebration, we’d like to highlight some fantastic local opportunities this summer for young girls to get involved with learning about and playing the world’s most popular sport:
- Ham Youth Centre Summer Programme (opens a new window) - football with Brentford Football Club from 10 - 12 August.
- Heatham House Youth Centre Summer Programme (opens a new window) - football hosted throughout their summer holiday programme, see link for specific dates.
- Powerstation Youth Centre Summer Programme (opens a new window) - TEKKERS @ Powerstation and TEKKERS @ Grey Court throughout their summer holiday programme, please see links for specific dates. Powerstation girls football team will also be playing their first tournament, turn up and support for a day filled with sports and positive vibes.
- FUEL Summer Programme Richmond (opens a new window) and FUEL Summer Programme Kingston (opens a new window) - As part of the summer FUEL programme in both Richmond and Kingston, SCL Active will be hosting soccer coaching sessions from 25 July - 26 August, please see links for further details.
- Fulham FC Soccer Schools (opens a new window) - the football club has lots of girls only football sessions, including disability sessions and also disability sessions open to all. Please see the link for further information on dates and times.
- Brentford FC Football Camp (opens a new window) - the football club is hosting a free girls football camp on Tuesday 23 August. Please see the link for more information.
- Richmond Park FC (opens a new window) - the football club are currenting recruiting for their Wildcats (age 5 to 11) and Rookies (age 12 to 16) clubs. Please see the link for more information.
- AFC Kingston Youth (opens a new window) - summer football camps hosted throughout July and August, please see the link for more information.
Now, a question of whether it’s coming home? Only time will tell! We’ve got everything crossed for the Lionesses who take on Germany on Sunday 31st August.