Kite is a free service run by EnhanceAble offering ‘after-school’ support groups for young people (aged 11-18) in Kingston and Richmond with Asperger’s Syndrome or high functioning Autism.
NB: There is flexibility around which group participants can join: the 11 to 14 group or the 14 to 18 group.
What it offers:
The children and young people who attend the Kite Groups develop their social skills, life skills and communication through structured activities and play. The activities are very broad-ranging, from life discussions and games to cooking dinners.
When it happens:
‘Kite Club’ is held fortnightly in each town and during these sessions we focus on independence skills such as learning to cook, iron, travelling on public transport, assertiveness and personal safety. ‘
‘Kite Community’ is held on alternate Saturdays and includes varied outings and fun evenings. EnhanceAble regularly consults with the Kite members for ideas and feedback. Usually different age groups meet and go out separately, but sometimes they join together for a special outing or event.
Kite runs 50 weeks per year (closed for 2 weeks over Christmas) and is a free service.
Examples of group activities include:
• Football at a local 5-a-side football centre
• Themed golf at a local adventure golf centre
• Bowling at a local bowling alley
• Visited local restaurants
• Cinema visits
• Fun days out at Chessington World of Adventures
• Wii games evenings
• Themed party evenings such as Christmas and Halloween
• Ice skating at Hampton Court Palace
• Rock climbing
• Visiting the trampoline centre - AirHop
• Quiz nights
• Themed dinners cooked by the young people
For more information and to find out if this group may be suitable for your child, contact us