Web accessibility and language toolbar
In addition to our ongoing commitment to meet accessibility requirements we have added a web accessibility and language toolbar (Recite Me) to our website.
How do I access the toolbar?
The toolbar is accessible from the header of every page of our website.
After you click on the button the toolbar opens and displays a range of different options for customising how the website looks and how you can access the content. You can close the tool bar by clicking on it at anytime.
How does this help me access this website?
The toolbar has a unique range of functions. You can use it to:
- Have the text on our website read aloud (including PDFs)
- Download the text as an MP3 file to play it where and when it suits you
- Change font sizes and colours
- Customise background colour
- Translate text into more than 100 different languages, including including 35 text to speech voices.
- Access a fully integrated dictionary and thesaurus*
* We recommend that the dictionary function is used alongside the Jargon Buster on this website (opens a new window)
The screen reader helps people who are visually impaired or neuro-divergent to perceive and understand our website content.
Key features include:
- All content read aloud in a natural voice
- 35 different language options
- Speed controls and word-by-word highlighting for total customisation
- The toolbar allows you to highlight any text and create an MP3 file, which downloads automatically to your computer. Audio is created in a natural-sounding conversational style.
The website is customisable to a way that works for you. The toolbar supports people who are dyslexic, visually impaired or have a learning disability to change the way our website looks, so you can experience it the way it is intended.
Key features include:
- Text size and colour
- Website background colour
- Text font type, including Open-Dyslexic
- Text only option, where all styling is stripped away. This leaves text only for your viewing, much like a document
Reading content online can be a challenge for some people.
- Ruler - to read line by line with no distractions of what is below
- Reading mask - to mask away 90% of our website, leaving only the information you want to concentrate on
- Magnifier - to zoom in to sections of the text making reading more clearly easier
- Margins - when in text only mode, you can use the margin feature to position content in the best place for you
You can find out more about how Recite Me works from the Recite Me user guide (opens a new window).
You can quickly and easily translate all our website content into over 100 languages, including 35 text to speech voices. As more community languages, such as Korean or Tamil, become available they will be added to the toolbar.
Here is a video which demonstrates how the translation tool works.